Prevention is the key to avoiding fire on your boat. Here are our top ten recommendations:
- Install a gas monitor.
- Install a smoke detector and check it weekly. Smoke alarms should be mounted on the deckhead or ceiling, 30cm from cabin sides and within five metres of each protected area of the vessel. This may mean installing more than one alarm and we recommend choosing units that can be linked together.
- Fit a carbon monoxide (CO) detector.
- Keep all gas cylinders outside the cabin in a fire resistant, self-draining locker
- Regularly check all appliances, hoses and wood burner flues.
- Never restrict airflow by blocking vents and air gaps.
- Ensure that all furnishings and foam insulation are fire retardant.
- Do not leave cooking, candles or oil lanterns unattended.
- Turn the gas cylinder off at night before going to bed.
- Do not use a normal household barbeque on board.
If you require any further information or advice, please call us on 01326 374309.