Goldstar is a Biscay 36 ketch owned by Antoine Cousot that has been called Vizcaya until May 2017. She was built at Falmouth Boat Co. in 1975 so Antoine asked us to refit her in readiness for the Golden Globe Race 2018.
This 27,000 mile, solo, non-stop, round the world race has retro rules so nothing but what Sir Robin Knox-Johnston had on his winning boat Suhaili can be aboard.
This provided an interesting challenge for the team.
During 2016-2017 Falmouth Boat Co.:
- Used a gold metallic and clear coat paint system for the first time in the world. The metallic Awlcraft Solids and Effects base coat was finished with the next generation clear coat by AkzoNobel. This was the first time globally that the combination of the metallic base coat and the new clear coat have been applied by an applicator outside of the AkzoNobel paint facilities.
- Installed two collision bulkheads to prevent water intake in the event that the boat hits a submerged container
- Designed, built and installed a doghouse to keep Antoine dry and able to rest while still keeping watch
- Fitted new watertight flooring
- Installed deck head stringers for reinforcement
- Removed teak decking and adding non-slip coating
- Removed all previous coatings underwater to examine the substrate, carried out an epoxy treatment and finished in spray antifouling for a racing finish
- Fitted a new power unit and stern gear
- Removed and reinstated all electrics
- Fitted three watertight hatches
- Carried out rudder work
- Installed new plumbing work, water tanks and pipework
Antoine said: “Falmouth Boat Co. has worked hard over the last year to refit the boat and it’s been tough because of the retro race rules. I’ve now got a great boat to race and she’s looking first class too. I’m looking forward to starting sea trials around Falmouth in early May.”