Little Falmouth Yacht Yard has a significant pedigree in boats, having seen the build and repair of hundreds of vessels, including the Cutty Sark.
Boat building repairs have been carried out in our yard in Flushing since the early 1800s, when the packet ships and other merchant sailing ships were built.
At the turn of the twentieth century, the yard hosted ‘RS Burt & Son, ship, yacht, launch and boat builders, smiths and motor engineers, marine surveyors and valuers, contractors to the Admiralty, War Office, RAF'. They built, repaired and rigged a large variety of boats. In 1883 Burt launched the 103ft steam tug Armine, and in 1923 the yard workers re-rigged Cutty Sark, a resident vessel in Falmouth at the time.
Over the years, the yard built many traditional wooden craft such as oyster boats, quay punts, working boats and custom-built yachts. During the war the boatyard built motor torpedo boats (MTBs), many of which left Flushing directly to raid on St. Nazaire.
After the war Falmouth Boat Construction converted S-10, a Polish torpedo boat, into a private motor yacht, ‘mv Taifun’. She had three 1100 horse power engines!
Taifun went on to star in the 1955 film ‘The Ship that Died of Shame’, taken from a Nicholas Monsarrat book. The film starred George Baker, Richard Attenborough, Bill Owen and Virginia McKenna.
She was then bought by Hugh Edwards (the brother of the comedian Jimmy Edwards.) She motored to Tangiers and was subsequently ‘lost’ in ‘suspicious circumstances’ in the Mediterranean.
Today boat owners benefit from the large slipway that can handle vessels up to 100 feet and weighing 100 tonnes.
The team’s first class expertise and comprehensive skillset ensure that boats are repaired, restored and refurbished to the highest standard, on time and on budget.
Pic: S-10 in 1944 (Photo: Marlowe Morris)