Location: Based in Flushing, Falmouth, Cornwall
Remuneration: Circa £27,500.00 plus private health care, pension, life insurance and additional benefits.
Responsible to: Electrical Department Foreman
Job description, role and responsibilities:
Working as part of the Electrics and Electronics team, you will be expected to bring your skills into the organisation to complete the varying projects in hand.
Specific skills required: marine leisure electrics/electronics instalation, trouble shooting and repair, fully skilled and current.
Depending upon the strength of your skillset, you will be participating with other staff or leading in the delivery of projects across the spectrum of our activities.
Some examples of what we do and the skills required are:
- Complete removal and re-instatement of all electrical and electronic systems in an incident damaged 55ft yacht
- Testing and certifying electrical and electronic systems in RNLI vessels
- Recommending, specifying and installing new navigation or electrical infrastructure systems to meet clients needs
- Fault finding and repairing bilge pumps to radars
- Engaging with the clients while working on their vessels, promoting all the services of the company and underpinning their confidence in our activities
- Representing the company, its principals and standards to any prospective client
- Working as part of the team co-coordinating and maximising the efficient use of your time for the benefit of the company
- Working as part of the team in compliance with the company’s policies and procedures and accordingly address or report matters of concern
- Maintaining the quality of our service and addressing or reporting matters of concern
- Assisting in ensuring all of your activities are compliant with company Health and Safety rules and regulations
- Contribute to the development of additional services and facilities within the company
- Contribute to both the promotion and marketing of the company, its brand, reputation and activities
- Represent Falmouth Boat Co. and our values in your general conduct and dealings with all our stakeholders
- Experienced and skilled in marine electrical systems
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- In depth and current knowledge of electrical engineering systems
- Deep awareness of Health and Safety principals and policies within a similar organisation
- Full driving licence
- In depth experience of electronics
- Track record of customer service skills and/or training
- Ability to cultivate positive client relationships
- Natural collaborator
- Highly organised, confident and proactive
- Innovative, creative and flexible
- Sense of humour!
Falmouth Boat Co. is the service brand of Falmouth Boat Construction ltd. We are a privately owned small boatyard based on the south coast of the south west of the UK in Flushing, Falmouth in Cornwall.
With a turnover slightly in excess of £1m and a staff base of 30, our primary activities are based around the service and repair of all water borne craft up to 100ft and 100 tonnes. Our most regular market is 30-50ft yachts and leisure craft for refit and repair, complemented with commercial craft servicing up to 60ft.
Our leisure clients range from a spectrum of self-employed tradesmen and wealthy professionals to retired locals.
Our commercial clients are primarily local and range from harbour authorities to towage companies. We are very proud to be one of the few repair yards in the country appointed to undertake repair work on RNLI craft with whom we work closely.
We have limited facilities afloat so all our clients choose to come to us rather than feeling obliged through a mooring lay-up arrangement.
We also undertake a large amount of insurance repair work. This is more often than not the first time that new clients meet us and post repairs, hopefully to return in the future. This is the biggest growth area of our customer base.
The majority of our activities are based in Falmouth, and on our own site, however, we are developing an offsite and International support team with several of our clients – most notably in Europe. Our USP in such matters is the fact that UK clients take comfort in dealing with a UK company under UK law on their craft wherever it may be – this is a growing area of our business.
In July 2013, the company changed hands to the current ownership. Having historically suffered from a significant lack of investment and poor profitability. This situation has step changed since on the back of the business recovery.